A heads up on the withdrawal symptoms of quitting smoking cold turkey may do you good. Normally, these symptoms disappear after 2 to 4 weeks, but some may take longer. These will come and go; it’s only a matter of time!
• Coughing and sore throat – These are lesser known symptoms that people face when they stop smoking. Your throat might give you a bit of trouble, and you can also experience sneezing. However, do not worry as these will go away once your body adjusts to the new routine.
• Sweating – The first few weeks would be difficult. Since you have abstained from a long time habit, your body will constantly betray you. Sweating profusely happen as now, you do not have the cig in your hand in time of your stress. As the Nicotine creates a chemical dependency, the body, which is new to a smoke-free routine now, will panic. However, with time, this too shall pass, and you can stop smoking.
• Emotional Signs – Tension and desire build up during the withdrawal period and sometimes, it can push to the extreme, intolerant level. Temper tantrums, depression, insomnia, irritability, confusion will surface up! However, you can overcome these symptoms if you fight them back with as much mental strength you have.
Other symptoms include…
• Constipation and Nausea
• Feelings of utter boredom
• Lack of concentration
• Dizziness and Exhaustion (mostly mental)
• Weight Gain
• Anger and Random Mood Swings
To get over these, you can have plenty of water (8-10 glasses a day), go for swimming, cycling, drink fresh juice, tea, have gum and candy, take cool showers to keep your mind calm before you go to work and many more.
At the end of the tunnel, you shall find the LIGHT!
NOPE – Not One Puff Ever!
There lies a sequence of behavioral patterns that will help you take the high road to give up smoking.
The moment your head starts on the whole charade of “Take a puff, it won’t do you any harm” or “You need a smoke, pal”, get your conscious mind alert!
Make your consciousness exercise its willpower to stop these rants of your subconscious mind. If you think that you do not have the power, then you are wrong! You have the conscious choice to smoke or not. The addicted mind may think that you cannot smoke anymore, but if your consciousness believes that you have the FREE WILL to choose, you can better your chances to quit smoking.
Whenever desperation hits, you can say to yourself, “I can choose to smoke now, but this time, I won’t”.
This useful how-to will also empower you to succeed.
Or, “I can take a puff now, but I have other work to do.”
Uttering these breaks the dominating chains of the subconscious mind and releases tension from your body. You are consciously taking charge of what you want. So, getting over your addiction won’t be a problem once you follow this sequence.
Benefits after you quit smoking
• A Broken Addiction Cycle
Giving up smoking can actually re-wire the brain and break your addiction cycle. The nicotine receptors in your brain return to normal levels after almost a month of quitting.
• Hearing and Vision get better
The smoke from a cigarette often irritates your eyes. Quitting will stop further damage and also improve your night vision. Moreover, when you stop smoking, doctors say that your hearing gets sharper as smoking causes mild hearing issues too.
• Blood Circulation to Improve
It has been discussed before that nicotine in bloodstream leads to thickened blood which will eventually lead to blood clots in future. So, drink lots of fluids like juices, tea and water so that your blood remains thin and circulation also healthily takes place.
• Cholesterol Level Normal
It is not that giving up smoking will rid your body of the fatty deposits that already exist. However, it does lower your cholesterol level and the fats circulating in blood to normalcy.
• Resist Emphysema
Doctors say that there lies no cure for the chronic emphysema. However, if you quit smoking at an early stage, then you will resist further damage to your lungs’ air sacs. This will help in preventing the disease to infest in future.
• No more Lung damage
Scarring of lungs cannot be reversed back. Thus, it is extremely important that you stop smoking before your lungs suffer from permanent damage. Within a few weeks, you will see how easily you can take the stairs and do not suffer from short of breath.
• Sexual Issues Solved
Sexual problems like erectile dysfunction can be prevented if you quit smoking now! Chances of having a healthy sex life also increase when an individual abstains from smoking. You will feel energized, focused and free!
• Estrogen Normalcy Level
For women, estrogen levels will return back to a normal level once they stop taking a puff! Moreover, if they want to become a mother someday then stopping this addiction right now can increase their chances to conceive and have a healthy pregnancy.
• Strong Muscles and Bones
Last but not the least, resisting smoking helps to increase oxygen availability in the bloodstream. As a result, your muscles will get stronger and much healthier. Additionally, fracture risks also get reduced as you develop stronger bones.
As you walk down the path….
A conscious training and retaining of both your mind and body are what ensure the ultimate way to quit smoking.
One thing that you must note down; giving up this addiction will not bring back your self-esteem immediately. The very notion of getting addicted to something is not easy to stop. You leave one addiction to begin another and such cases have been observed in the history.
What you need to realize is that it is not the smoking but the ADDICTIVE nature that needs to be fought back!
So, as you find back your long lost confidence after you quit smoking, you know that you CAN and you WILL!