Tantric Meditation for Couples is becoming increasingly more popular in the west. Yet it is a very ancient and even spiritual practice.
When people hear the word tantra they automatically think of tantric sex. Sexual intimacy is an important element to the practice of tantra, however, it is not the sole focus.
Tantric meditation, or more specifically tantric meditation techniques and meditation exercises- allow you to connect to your inner source and divinity for deeper connection, intimacy, self- awareness, and love.
This love can be unconditional love- the love you feel the world and all of the planet’s inhabitants, and the love you feel for a soulmate, lover or romantic partner.
Table of Contents
The Essence of Tantra
Tantra is essentially the unification of mind, body and soul. It is the connection and harmony of the spirit, emotions, mind and physical body.
Tantric meditation aims to unify these elements.
So the main part of this meditation practice is to become conscious of your breath. Mindful and consciously aware breathing is extremely important in all tantric practices. Mastering tantric breathing and meditation techniques ultimately allow for the more advanced practices you see in those who have mastered their sexuality through tantra.
Tantra can be seen as “the way of the heart”, and if we were to want a short and encompassing definition- this would be the best and most accurate one.
How does it help couples? Why is it so significant?
There are a number of reasons why you should start engaging in tantric meditation today. Tantric meditation has a number of positive and powerful benefits.
- It helps relieve blocked energy, trapped emotions and recurring detrimental exchanges between you and your partner.
- It can increase libido and sex drive and bring more sensuality and intimacy into your relationship.
- Tantra is an ancient practice with roots and origins in Taoism and many eastern philosophies. It, therefore, connects you to your own roots, inner divinity, and spirituality.
- Emotions and harmful cycles can be smoothed out and light can be shone into dark or troublesome areas.
- Greater awareness develops in both partners through the conscious breath-work and decision to engage in this shared activity together.
- Sexual play and connection can become more loving, affectionate and harmonious. It can also become more passionate, wild and primal!
- The detrimental cycles and communication exchanges often found in many relationships can be removed through dedication and commitment to tantric meditation. It is literally a form of meditation, so you and your partner will become more reflective, empathetic, compassionate, observant, sensitive and responsive to each other’s needs.
- Tantric meditation harmonizes mind, body, emotions, and spirit. Big shifts and positive changes can occur and you will begin to become more present in both life and your relationship.
- It increases self- esteem, confidence and healthy self- respect, and develops self- empowerment.
- Generally, you become more loving, open-hearted and open-minded. Tantric meditation can be a blissful experience!
Tantric Meditation 1: Breathing
Breathing is the framework and key for all tantric meditations. As we explore in the next one, tantra relies on the knowledge and awareness of kundalini; the serpent-like energy which flows through your body’s chakras.
Kundalini is also known as Shakti- the powerful and primordial creative energy within.
Energy essentially flows through your body’s chakras or energy centers and is responsible for good health, longevity, inner harmony, contentment and inner balance This energy has many names such as Shakti, kundalini energy, creative or primordial life force, or the universal life force.
So, to begin your tantric journey with your partner and also to start any and all shared meditation or tantric activities, work on your breath and subsequent subtle connection.
- Sit facing each other in a meditative position.
Make sure you are comfortable with meditation cushions, incense, softly burning essential oils or anything else which contributes to your feelings of safety, security and comfort.
- Set your intentions. This is key!
Intentions are very important in tantric meditation as they enable your subtle thoughts, feelings, and impressions to radiate outwards and affect you and your partner.
Begin by closing your eyes and going within, focusing on what you want as the outcome of your shared meditation through thoughts, visualization or softly spoken words, like affirmations.
- Create a telepathic or mental connection. This can also be emotional. As partners, lovers or companions, you already share a deep and soulful connection.
Meditation will enhance this tenfold.
Emotions and the sure mental connection your share are powerful ways to do this.
- Once you feel locked in and connected to each other, begin to breathe and release control.
The conscious and active intentions and force created should be met with surrender. Breathe into your own being, your own body, and your own sensuality.
Simultaneously, breathe into theirs.
Visualize a chord of light or energy flowing through your partner.
This chord is also flowing through you! With time you should be able to feel and see this subtle yet powerful connection more strongly.
Furthermore, the intuitive touch techniques in the final meditation shared can enhance this experience.
Tantric Meditation 2: Kundalini/ Chakras
Just like the breathing focused meditation, incorporating chakra and kundalini focus into your tantric meditation can allow for a magical and euphoric experience.
We live in a world of subtle energy, sound, and color- there is more than the five physical senses!
Knowing this and doing the following will amplify you and your partner’s connection, and increase your own connection to the divine.
- During your meditation whilst facing one another, see a serpent-like spiral of light. This light represents consciousness and inner divinity.
It flows through all living things and with conscious effort and tantric breathing exercises, it increases and amplifies. This light flows from the root to the crown of your head.
- Place your left hand on your knee facing upwards, palm open. Gently lift your right hand up with your palm facing outwards towards your partner’s chest.
Your partner should do the same.
The left hand is known as your receiving hand and your right your giving. Healing or life force energy flows through your right hand, energizing anything in your line of thought and intentional fire.
You can, therefore, send positive energy, healing thoughts and loving energy to your partner. Both of your right hands should be a few inches away from each other’s hearts, straight and clearly open.
- The key is to focus on your breath whilst being aware of the energy flowing through you both.
Using color and visualization can really amplify this.
Green is the color of the heart, so seeing a gentle green light emanating from your right hand towards your partner will allow for powerful meditation experience.
You may intuitively feel to speak intentions or mantras- affirmations, expanding the process and further amplifying the effects of the tantric breathing and initial intentions sent.
Finally, you could also agree to count each other in and breathe with each other as you visualize a golden light flowing up from your pelvic region, through your energy centers (chakras) and up to the top of your head- your crown, and back down again.
If you can sync your breath with your visualizations and sync this to one another, this will create the most blissful and deeply connected chord and bond.
Tantric Meditation 3: Intuitive and Sensual Touch
Finally, merging intuitive touch and sensual expression into your meditations enhances your experience, journey together, bond and connection- in every expression.
Let’s continue with the Tantric Meditation Guide.