One might have often come across saints, sages, yogis, and mystics meditating with a string of beads in their hands. You can even spot these beads portrayed in pictures of all Hindu Gods & Goddesses. Have you ever wondered what are rudraksha beads, and what is their importance?
Table of Contents
- 1 Mythology Related to Rudraksha
- 2 Natural Occurrence of Rudraksha Trees
- 3 Scientific Backing for Rudraksha
- 4 Types of Rudraksha & their Benefits
- 5 Spotting a Genuine Rudraksha
- 6 How and When to Wear a Rudraksha?
- 7 Essential Rules for Wearing a Rudraksha
- 8 Final Thoughts
These beads are known as Rudraksha or Utrasum beads and are the manifestation of the mighty Lord Shiva himself-one of the Trinity Gods in Hindu religion.
Rudraksha are powerful sacred beads and acts as a spiritual chord between heaven and the earth. It is commonly found in the houses of traditional Hindus, especially who belong to the cult of Shaivism. Besides, being sacred in nature, these beads are used for therapeutic purposes and have the potential to cure many diseases.
Mythology Related to Rudraksha
The word “Rudraksha” is comprised of two different words- Rudra meaning Lord Shiva and Aksh meaning eyes. Several ancient texts in the Hindu religion have glorified the power of Rudraksha seeds.
According to Shiva Purana, the Rudraksha beads originated from the tear drops of Lord Shiva, when he opened his eyes after many years of penance. The teardrops that fell on the earth from his eyes gave birth to Rudraksha trees.
The Devi Bhagwat Purana states that in order to kill Tripurasura (a demon); Shiva took the Rudra form (the anger form). Teardrops that emerged from his eyes due to this ferocious form dropped on the ground which gave rise to Rudraksha trees.
Another legend states that when God Shiva saw the sufferings of human beings on earth, teardrops started falling from his lotus shaped eyes which grew as Rudraksha trees.
Natural Occurrence of Rudraksha Trees
Rudraksha beads come from Rudraksha trees scientifically known as Elaeocarpus Ganitrus, commonly found in the Himalayan regions and regions of South-East Asia.
They are evergreen trees with broad leaves and runs to a height of 60 meters. The blueberries found on these trees are plucked and kept in water for several days; after that, the pulp is removed to get the Rudraksha beads. After that, these beads are preserved in oil to prevent further oxidation by air and moisture.
Rudraksha are abundantly found in Indonesia, Nepal, and India. However, the top qualities of these beads are native to the hilly regions of Nepal. These trees are also called as Utrasum bead tree and Janitri tree in different countries.
Scientific Backing for Rudraksha
Researchers have found that the beads of Rudraksha contain traces of various elements like nickel, cobalt, iron, copper, aluminum, chlorine, phosphorus, carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen.
These elements make the beads to exhibit electromagnetic properties. Once the Rudraksha comes in contact with the body or is held close, it emanates electrical signals which, when absorbed by the body, starts interacting with the electrical impulses within the body.
In the field of Complementary & Alternative Medicine, Rudraksha is frequently put into use as it is an excellent stress buster and can control the irregular blood pressure within the bodies. Doctors have also been recommending Rudraksha for people suffering from blood pressure, diabetes, and sleep disorders. However, the therapeutic use of Rudraksha is experimental and needs further research.
Types of Rudraksha & their Benefits
Rudraksham are classified based on their Mukhis (faces on the seeds).
These faces are clefts or grooves that vertically run down from top to bottom. For example, if a bead has 5 grooves on its body, then it is known as a Panch (5) Mukhi Rudraksha. Our holy texts talk about 21 Mukhi Rudraksha and its benefits. Here in this section, we will cover Ek (1) Mukhi to Dus (10) Mukhi Rudraksha and their benefits.
Ek (1) Mukhi Rudraksha
It is the most powerful among the Rudraksha family and is considered as the manifestation of Lord Shiva himself. It has only one groove that runs on its body and is very rare. It is either cashew shaped or round shaped.
Ekmukhi is ruled by the planet Sun, and therefore, it can increase the aura of the native and can make people rise to top authoritarian positions.
Ek (1) Mukhi Rudraksha Benefits
- This Rudraksha can calm the native and can increase the concentration power and helps us to remain focussed in life.
- Reiki healers use this Rudraksha to clear the Crown Chakra (7th chakra of the body).
- Wearing of Ekmukhi Rudraksha can help us to receive the blessings of Goddess Lakshmi and people can live a life of abundance and riches.
- Besides giving us materialistic comfort, it also helps us to improve our meditative powers and brings about clarity in our minds.
- It is a natural stress reliever and can be helpful in heart and blood-related diseases.
Ek (1) Mukhi Rudraksha Beej Mantra: Aum Hreem Namah
Do (2) Mukhi Rudraksha
According to mythology, Do Mukhi Rudraksha represents the power of Ardhnarishwar (half male and half female) form of Lord Shiva. Two segments are found on the body of this Rudraksha and are generally oval shaped.
Moon is the natural ruling planet, and Cancer Ascendants can wear this Rudraksha to tap the lunar benefits.
Do (2) Mukhi Rudraksha Benefits
- It is believed that wearing two Mukhi Rudraksha can liberate you from sins committed in the past lives.
- It improves upon the relationship within your family members by curtailing the differences of opinion, thereby channeling the flow of peaceful energy within the house.
- It enhances the bonding between the life partners and can bestow eternal marital bliss.
- People having stomach, kidney, and intestine related problems benefit upon wearing of this Rudraksha.
- It is believed that wearer of this Rudraksha can attain salvation (moksha) at the end of his life and get freed from the cycles of rebirth.
Do (2) Mukhi Rudraksha Beej Mantra: Aum Shreem Hreem Vreem Aum
Teen (3) Mukhi Rudraksha
This 3 faced Rudraksha houses the powers of three divine trinities namely Brahma (the creator), Vishnu (the preserver) & Mahesh (the destroyer).
It symbolizes Mars in astrology, and people having Aries or Scorpio Ascendant can wear it.
People get success in all their endeavors upon wearing this Rudraksha.
Teen (3) Mukhi Rudraksha Benefits
- Being a symbol of Agni, it deeply purifies us from within. People who are timid, shy, or are suffering from an inferiority complex can wear this 3 Mukhi Rudraksha to get over their problems.
- People who feel lazy and lethargic can immensely benefit from this Rudraksha.
- Natives suffering from insomnia, depression, or having suicidal tendencies should definitely wear it, to get over their problems.
Teen (3) Mukhi Rudraksha Beej Mantra: Aum Namah
Char (4) Mukhi Rudraksha
The four segments on the Rudraksha represents the 4 faced Brahma, the 4 cardinal directions and the 4 ancient Vedas.
It encompasses all the knowledge one gains through the 4 stages of life- Brahmacharya (bachelor), Grihastha (married), Vanaprastha (dutiful) & Sanyasa (ascetic).
Mercury is the natural ruler of 4 Mukhi Rudraksha and can be worn by Gemini and Virgo ascendants.
Char (4) Mukhi Rudraksha Benefits
- Wearing of this Rudraksha can inculcate supreme knowledge, intellect, and wisdom.
- It improves memory and makes the native centric towards their goal in life.
- It induces optimism in a native even in unfortunate circumstances.
- People having a weary and scattered mind can wear this Rudraksha to maintain mental stability in their life.
- It is ideal for students who wish to enhance their knowledge and memory as this Rudraksha also has the blessings of Goddess Saraswati.
Char (4) Mukhi Rudraksha Beej Mantra: Aum Hreem Namah
Panch (5) Mukhi Rudraksha
This five faced Rudraksha represents Lord Shiva in the form of Kaalagni. It represents the five energy elements in our body- air, water, fire, earth & space.
This Rudraksha is usually best for the natives having Sagittarius and Pisces ascendant.
Panch (5) Mukhi Rudraksha Benefits
- Wearing of this Rudraksha can help the native to get away from fears and prevents the native from untimely death.
- As it balances, the 5 elements of our body, it is used to clear all the chakras in our bodies and maintain a constant flow of energy within ourselves.
- It nullifies the bad effects of Jupiter in our chart and hence can be worn by anybody.
Panch (5) Mukhi Rudraksha Beej Mantra: Aum Namah Shivay
Chah (6) Mukhi Rudraksha
A 6 Mukhi Rudraksha has the blessing of Lord Karthikeya (son of Lord Shiva) & Maa Parvati.
A 6 Mukhi Rudraksha is related to planet Mars, and problems like Manglik Dosha & Angarak Dosha in a birth chart can be nullified. It blesses the natives with multiple properties and assets.
Chah (6) Mukhi Rudraksha Benefits
- Wearing of a six-faced Rudraksha can bless the native with valor, courage, and strength to fight against all the adversities in one’s life.
- It cleanses and controls the Sacral Chakra and is used in the treatment of piles, infertility, and sexual problems.
- Sometimes problems like arthritis, knee pains can get cured with it.
Chah (6) Mukhi Rudraksha Beej Mantra: Aum Hreem Hum Namah
Saat (7) Mukhi Rudraksha
This Rudraksha symbolizes Kamadeva, the God of love and sensory pleasures and also has the blessings of Saptarishis.
Upon wearing this Rudraksha, people become the center of attraction among the opposite sex.
Saat (7) Mukhi Rudraksha Benefits
- It blesses the native with name, fame & money. People suffering on account of bad luck should wear this Rudraksha.
- It is ruled by planet Saturn and natives undergoing the bad Mahadasha of Saturn, Saturn Saadesaati & Ashtam Shani should wear this to propitiate Lord Shani.
- It works great for the people who are struggling in their career and businesses.
- People suffering from paralysis, epilepsy, cough & asthma, etc, can also benefit immensely upon wearing this 7 Mukhi Rudraksha.
Saat (7) Mukhi Rudraksha Beej Mantra: Aum Hum Namah
Aath (8) Mukhi Rudraksha
An 8 Mukhi Rudraksha is blessed by Lord Ganesh which is also known as the Vighnaharta (remover of obstacles).
Aath (8) Mukhi Rudraksha Benefits
- People who are facing obstacles every now and then in their life can wear this Rudraksha to get over all the problems.
- It enhances the knowledge, intellect, and wisdom in the native.
- People who are having a troubling Rahu should wear this Rudraksha to curtail the bad energies in their lives.
- Natives who are suffering from Kaal Sarp Dosha would also find relief upon wearing of an 8 Mukhi Rudraksha.
- Problems related to skin, hallucination, bad dreams can also be easily cured upon wearing of this 8 faced Rudraksha.
Aath (8) Mukhi Rudraksha Beej Mantra: Aum Hraam Greem Lum Shri
Nau (9) Mukhi Rudraksha
It is blessed by Goddess Durga and houses the powers of her 9 incarnations. A 9 Mukhi Rudraksha also has the blessings of Lord Kaal Bhirava & Yamaraj (the God of death).
The ruling planet is Ketu, and by wearing it, a native gets relief from the malefic effects during the Ketu Mahadasha & Antardasha.
Nau (9) Mukhi Rudraksha Benefits
- Upon wearing this Rudraksha, a person is blessed with intellect, name, fame, and wealth. He/she can get the power to defeat his/her opponents.
- People under the effect of black magic spells should wear it as it cuts down all the negative energies.
- A native is also protected from the evil eye by wearing this powerful bead.
- It has the ability to cure acute fever, lung problems, and digestive disorders.
Nau (9) Mukhi Rudraksha Beej Mantra: Aum Hreem Hoom Namah
Dus (10) Mukhi Rudraksha
Lord Vishnu himself blesses this bead, and it can control all the Navgrahas in the natal chart.
Any problem in the horoscope can simply be taken care of by wearing this Rudraksha. Wearing of this powerful bead is akin to doing a Navagraha Shanti Pooja.
Dus (10) Mukhi Rudraksha Benefits
- Native’s having Pitra Dosh in their natal chart should wear this to get over their career & financial problems.
- It offers protection from unknown malicious energies.
- It can provide great relief to the people suffering from problems related to progeny.
Dus (10) Mukhi Rudraksha Beej Mantra: Om Hreem Namaha
Spotting a Genuine Rudraksha
A fake or synthetic Rudraksha would not bestow the blessings as promised in the Vedic texts.
Therefore, people should always look for a natural and clean bead without any break or holes on its body.
However, in today’s scenario, finding a genuine Rudraksha is quite tricky.
People are making clones of different Rudraksha through various methods, and it becomes very difficult to find a genuine product.
How to Spot a Genuine Rudraksha
Here are a few tests that can be done to find an authentic one:
Float test: A natural and original Rudraksha bead sinks in the water while a fake one floats on it.
But this simple test is not credible because an unripe original Rudraksha will also float in water and a synthetic one can also be made to sink in water. So, this test cannot properly confirm the authenticity of a Rudraksha.
Two Copper Coin Test: It is found that an original Rudraksha will rotate when placed between two copper coins due to its electromagnetic properties. But this test also lacks credibility as synthetic ones are also sometimes found to rotate.
(Copper Coin Test to Check if Rudraksha is Fake or Genuine)
So these above two tests cannot confirm the originality of the beads, and hence we will move with other tests.
Incision Test: In this test, a bead is taken and is diametrically cut at 90 degrees to the grooves.
An original Rudraksha will have the same number of compartments as the number of grooves on it. The drawback of this test is that it will ultimately make the bead useless.
Color Change: A natural Rudraksha will darken in color with time and will gradually turn brown to black upon its continued exposure to air and moisture, whereas fake ones will maintain its color even after several years.
Milk Test: An original Rudraksha when put in a glass of milk will not spoil the milk even after 2-3 days.
How and When to Wear a Rudraksha?
Anybody thinking of buying a Rudraksha should avoid times of Rahukaala as it is considered inauspicious. (You can know about the everyday timing of Rahukaala from a Vedic priest).
Once the Rudraksha is purchased, it should be energized (Pran Pratistha) by dipping it in pure water and then chanting the prayers 108 times, for that particular Rudraksha.
After that put the bead in contact with a Shivling for some time (for a few seconds) and you are good to go.
Now pass the Rudraksha through a silk thread so that you can wear it around your neck. Try making the thread strong so that it doesn’t snap.
Sometimes, people club the bead within a gold or silver casing for added protection. If you wish, you can also tie the stringed Rudraksha around your wrist.
You can also string multiple Rudraksha to make a string of Prayer beads (Prayer Mala), which can be worn around the neck or wrist. It should be noted that there should be 108 beads in a Prayer Mala plus a Meru bead (Bindu). This is also known as rudraksha neklace.
Essential Rules for Wearing a Rudraksha
- Since this bead is sacred and a significator of Lord Shiva himself, it is recommended that you adopt a vegan lifestyle.
- Abstain yourself from alcohol and drugs.
- Remove your Rudraksha when going for a funeral or place of childbirth. Upon returning, take a bath and then wear your Rudraksha again by chanting their beej mantras.
- The Rudraksha should be removed while having sexual intercourse.
- Clean your Rudraksha periodically and check for cracks or holes. If there are any problems in the beads, try replacing it with a new one.
- Never exchange Rudraksha with anybody, if you don’t like wearing it, put it in a Shiva Temple.
- Don’t do prayers with the same Rudraksha that you are wearing.
- Always respect the beads; it is sacred; it is powerful. Put your complete trust in it.
Everyone can wear rudraksha beads, irrespective of their race, religion, caste, creed, and sex. Apart from being a sacred tool for spirituality, it can even change the Karmas of our lives.
However, one should consult an Astrologer or a Vedic priest to know which one will work out. Moreover, it would be best if you only bought a Rudraksha from a reputable and certified Rudraksha center.